DOUBLE TREATS OF SWEET!
A guest post and recipe by author Lenora Worth
I enjoy cooking during the holidays and two of my favorite recipes are Red Velvet Brownies and Tiger Butter Bars. There are various recipes online for both, but I make my Tiger Fudge with Ghirardelli white chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips and peanut butter. So good!
For the red velvet brownies, I use a mixture of a brownie recipe and add red food coloring. Then I mix cream cheese with sugar and vanilla and swirl that into the chocolate. Tasty and so festive.
I also enjoy making Christmas cookies, which something I did every year when my children were growing up. Taking the time to bake during the holidays is a rare treat. Now if you really want a challenge, you can try my Christmas Bread Pudding. It’s rich and decadent but so good. Here is the recipe:
Christmas Bread Pudding (Amaretto Bread Pudding)
- One small loaf of day-old French or Sourdough bread
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups Half & Half
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Butter for patting bread mixture (as needed)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 small jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 cup coconut
- Amaretto sauce:
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter
- A dollop of Half & Half
- ¼ cup Amaretto (or a teaspoon of vanilla)
- Spray a large baking pan with cooking spray. Break up bread in large chunks and place in the baking pan until the entire pan is covered with bread. Pat down.
- Pour milk, Half & Half, eggs, sugars and spices in a large mixing bowl. Mix with a spoon or a mixer on low until the eggs are lemony and the sugars, spices and vanilla are well blended. Pour this mixture over the bread, making sure to soak it completely. Let set for about five minutes.
- Sprinkle pecans, cherries and coconut over the bread mixture. Bake in 350 degrees oven for one hour. (Check every few minutes to make sure the coconut isn’t getting too brown. If so, turn down the heat to 325 degrees.)
- Remove from oven and let rest while you mix the Amaretto sauce.
- To mix sauce, melt butter in a pot and whisk in the powdered sugar. Stir until smooth and then pour in the dollop of Half & Half. Pour in the amaretto and bring to a bubbly boil. Pour the Amaretto sauce over the bread pudding while still warm. Serve immediately or reheat as needed. Also good cold.
About Rookie K-9 Unit Christmas (a 2-in-1 with Lenora Worth and Valerie Hansen)
Surviving Christmas by Valerie Hansen: When single dad Sean Murray returns from a war zone and discovers someone is following him, he turns to his old friend K-9 officer Zoe Trent for help. But as the threat escalates, can Zoe and her police dog find whoever is menacing Sean and his son…and make sure this Christmas isn’t their last?
Holiday High Alert by Lenora Worth: After a cryptic note appears in the playground at Josie Callahan’s daycare center, rookie K-9 officer Dalton West vows to protect Josie and the kids she loves—especially his daughter, Maisy. And with a stalker closing in, the widower and his four-legged partner are all that stand between Josie and a deadly Christmas.
Buy Online: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo
Add to Goodreads